Monday, June 23, 2008

Starfree Port: I like it, I really, really like it!


You've heard me say this before. When I released First Light Chronicles: Freeground and First Light Chronicles: Limbo I told everyone that I enjoyed writing them so much that I wasn't sure if they were actually any good. My objectivity went out the window as I finished both novellas.

Well, the third book, First Light Chronicles: Starfree Port is really almost ready, I'm just finishing the editing then shipping it off to my editor (digitally of course). I have honestly had so much fun writing this one that I have no idea if it's any good, my objectivity is completely gone. There are a couple of problems, however.

It's not a novella. I can't even pretend it's short fiction. I haven't finished editing it yet and the manuscript is weighing in at 246 pages so far. It may end up being longer if bits that I've cut out are deemed nessisary in the end. At this point 118 pages have been cut from the book, I don't think any of it will find it's way back in, but you never know. These pages include several complete scenes that dragged the pace down, didn't quite seem to fit, or I didn't think were good enough. I edit my books like a finished film, I even write in bits that make the book as a whole work better (much like a film's reshoots). A few such short scenes have been written into this book, and I like those too. No one I've spoken to about the size increase has complained, however, so I think I'll be able to get away with it running a bit long.

There is other good news about this book. The crew get to do a lot together, even though it's like the previous books in the way that the story is told from the perspective of the Captain, this book is really more about the entire crew and less an examination of what's going on in Jonas Valent's heart and mind. The characters surrounding the Captain develop more in this book than in the other two combined as he interacts with them, it wasn't easy, but again, it was very enjoyable.

In a week or less my editor will have his hands on Starfree Port and a couple days later I'll know if it's any good. If it passes muster I'll give it another editorial pass (that takes about two to three days), then it'll be posted online for purchase. I appreciate all your patience, especially since there was only a six week wait between Freeground and Limbo while Starfree Port has taken months. It's my hope that most of you agree that it was worth the wait.

There is more news concerning the First Light Chronicles Series, big news. That'll come out sometime in the next couple days. In the following weeks it's possible that you'll hear even bigger news. If I'm lucky things may be moving ahead in a few huge leaps and bounds. You'll be the first to know.

RL

Oh yeah, and the above image is the graphic from the new cover.

No comments: