Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Spinward Fringe Frontline: The End Is Nigh!

Before I get into the main topic of this post, thank you to everyone who voted for the cover of the upcoming Spinward Fringe book: Frontline. You can still vote above (as of the time of this posting), and look at the different choices here. You don't have that much time left, however, since I'm almost finished writing this book.

For the first time since I started writing religously at the beginning of 2008 I've spent a massive chunk of time on just one book. This novel has been months in the making and it's size, complexity, setting and characterization are made to show it. As of this morning Frontline grew to a size larger than the entire First Light Chronicles Omnibus, and that's after I pulled about 20 pages that I didn't think had a place in this book. (Some of that stuff will appear in the next book).

The crazy thing is I'm about to start work on the ending today, so it's going to grow. The story in this volume is advancing further in this one book than in any of the others. I won't lie to you, I love writing in this setting, I enjoy the characters, and this story is as addictive to me as it is to anyone out there, probably more so.

Once I finish writing this draft I'll start polishing the work, and thankfully that won't take nearly as long as it has to write it (over four months). If all turns out well with the ending and I get the thumbs up from my editor and test readers (you know who you are!), this book could be out within a month in EBook format. I would like to say that I'm sorry this book took so long, but to be honest I'm not. This kind of book, with it's interwoven plotlines, sensitive timelines, high adventure and characterization that demands attention and detail takes time, and when you read it I hope you feel that it was worth the wait.

What's the plan after I finish this book?

I'm going to take a few weeks off to write a few short stories, develop another book and then it's straight back into the next Spinward Fringe Broadcast. Plans are quickly coming together for the next few parts of this series, and as long as there's a demand for them I'll keep turning them out to the absolute best of my ability. Oh, and expect at least one of those short stories to be available here for free.

Thank you very much for reading, waiting and passing the word. Without you this book would have never happened the same way. It's time to get back to work.

RL

No comments: