Monday, February 10, 2020

The next Spinward Fringe novel is a love letter to SciFi fighter pilot Fans

I'm well on my way to finishing the rough draft of Spinward Fringe: Rebel. I decided to fully introduce a character named Dame (that's her callsign) because we'd seen Ronin flying many times before.

Things have changed for Haven Fleet, and I'm happy this new character can bring a new perspective and show us what it's like for someone from another galaxy to join up so late in the game. Things are desperate for our heroes, and they're not looking better as thousands of their people are trapped, under the control of one of their greatest enemies; Wheeler.

Dame has joined up because she left her home, the Lorander Corporation to find adventure and to be a hero for the right cause. Haven Fleet needs people like her, especially since she's level-headed and talented.

For most of the book, which is about a massive rescue attempt, we follow her as she navigates right through the middle of one of the biggest military actions the fleet has seen. In this novel I set out to tell the story of a battle that will cost both sides and bring great change to the galaxy. This is the purpose of a just rebel, to change things for the better. Whether she's ready or not, Dame is about to become an instrument of change.

I hope you'll join me for this adventure,

RL

You can preorder here:

SMASHWORDS
APPLE BOOKS
BARNES & NOBLE
KOBO


2 comments:

John said...

Have you ever considered doing kind of a Sliders-style "lost in the multiverse" type of series set in the present-day?

I've always thought something like that would lend itself to the type of on-going storytelling of a series in the style of Spinward Fringe that exists in the e-book realm and has no defined end point.

It's also a different enough concept that you would not be stepping on any of the type of stories you're trying to tell in Spinward Fringe and your other series, but yet is close enough genre wise that a lot of your existing readers would probably dig it, and new readers attracted to it would be likely to eventually be willing to explore your Spinward Fringe books.

I'm thinking of a relatively contemporary series (Set in 2020 or whenever it is published) with normal-ish people from our earth who wind up on this journey to alternate timelines and realities and can't find their way home.

However, if that's not in the cards, or even if it is, any chance of seeing a Spinward Fringe broadcast eventually where something happens like our heroes wind up visiting a universe where they run into an original First Light crew alive and intact aboard the First Light, or a First Light from such a universe winds up in our heroes' reality?

I've always loved that original crew and, though I love what you've done with the successors to their characters (and the characters that live on in their original form as well), a small part of me also would have enjoyed just seeing that crew and that ship stay together as they were in Broadcast 0 (I guess that could have gotten kind of boring eventually, but it seems fun in the abstract. :) ). Jake could meet Jonas again (Kind of- alternate reality Jonas), Ayan could meet Ayan, Alice meets Alice, etc.. That seems like both a good starting point for some serious character stuff and also for some good humor. It'd be interesting to see what would have happened to everyone had they just kept going in the Freeground Fleet and Jonas had never been captured versus how things went for everyone in the main universe the stories are being told in. Then the alternate universe people and ship either go back where they came from at the end of the story, or some or all of them stick around, depending on what you think is best for the series (and maybe fan reaction). I mean, hey, Marvel has two or more versions of some of it's superheroes going simultaneously. :)

I'm just throwing those out there. I think they are such common generalized tropes that using them wouldn't get you into any trouble. I feel like the lost in the multiverse type stuff is always really popular within it's niche, and yet there is a real shortage of writers trying to do that type of thing.

Chuck and Hila said...

WOW. I am 80, typically read at least a book a month depending on size of book. Often finish a book in a week. I am a scifi, western, mystery and history fan. I just started Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0 and I think this is one of the BEST books I have ever read. I will be looking for more. Well done Sir!