Sunday, March 29, 2020

NEM: Awakening has begun!

As isolating became the wise thing to do in Canada, where I'm from, and most other places across the globe, I realized I'd have some extra time on my hands. So I'm writing something new while I work on the next Spinward Fringe novel.

I've wanted to write a project in first person again for a couple of years, but I wanted to start with something new. At the same time I didn't want to leave a lot of the work I'd done for Brightwill and Highshield to sit idle, so I decided that I'd write NEM: Awakening.

In its own way, NEM takes place in the same universe as my other fantasy novels, only it's also stitched to our reality, because it's about a man named Grant who gets pulled from our world into those fantastic places.
This novel is an experiment. Partially written to entertain myself and everyone who is stuck at home for the next few weeks (or more?), but also a way for me to stretch my imagination in a new direction while excercising my first person perspective writing muscles.

Since it's an experiment that's being serialized on my Patreon page, the book is open to a few interesting ideas, like giving you guys the power to choose what happens at one or more points in the story. It's not quite like choose your own adventure, but your votes will determine which path the main character takes at least twice before the whole book is posted. There are no wrong choices, but certain roads could lead to the demise of one or more likeable characters along the way. The stakes are real, or as real as they can get in fiction, and the results will make it into the final draft of the novel.

When the whole book has been serialized on Patreon I'll ask the ultimate question of my subscribers: Do you want more?

So, I'm happy to invite you to read NEM: Awakening. The first few chapters are already open to the public with many more to come. Click here to go straight to the index page.

No comments: