Friday, October 16, 2015

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 10 - Named, and an Update On Dark Arts

Thanks to suggestions and votes that were piled on at the official Facebook Group for Spinward Fringe, the next Spinward Fringe book has it's name - Freeground.

Simplicity and clarity can lead you to the most compelling ideas, or in this case, names. Two thirds of this book will be about Freeground, so the title is perfect, I will say no more so we can avoid spoilers.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the discussion or voted, you really helped with this one. I highly suggest that you join the Spinward Fringe Community if you're on Facebook, they're a fantastic crew.

Now, for something completely different...




The release date for Dark Arts is still October 31, and I'm a couple days from finishing the manuscript. The test readers are ready to peruse the last pages as soon as I finish them, and the formatter has given me a deadline.

Editing has been ongoing while the book is being written, so the work is going to be wrapped up on time.

So far this book has been an enlightening experience for me, because so much of the first half is solely about the characters, and I've learned to love almost all of them. Then terrible things begin to happen to those same characters, and there are some chapters I've actually hesitated on because I feel like I'm stomping on kittens while drowning puppies. I know, it's a book where bad things happen, and the story may become sad but that's part of why it's good, but sometimes you just want to interrupt the murder by writing... "And... then.... happily ever after!"

While this book may be something of a heart breaker, it does resolve the main story, leaving the surviving characters in the right places. I do not know what the overall reception of this book will be once it's out there, but I hope you enjoy the experience. Here's the link to the Dark Arts page on Facebook. I post hints about what I'm writing and music from the 70's (the time period of the book) daily, so check the history for about twenty previous updates.

Considering that this all started when I wanted to tell a little backstory about one character to support events that take place in the 1990's, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Thank you for checking in, be sure to visit again soon, more news is coming!

RL

1 comment:

Nana said...

The title and cover for Broadcast 10 is perfect. Absolutely adore the facebook page. We get nearly daily updates from you and the crew members are fantastic. You never know whats going to pop up on the page next.
So looking forward to reading Dark Arts when it is completed and released, but I have to admit to a some trepidation as to what is going to happen to the characters after reading your Dark Arts update here, as they always become so alive when you create and write about them.