Friday, May 29, 2015

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 1: Resurrection Re-edited Finally


Before anyone gets the wrong idea, this is not a full re-release like some other books I've seen have done. You won't have to buy Broadcast 1: Resurrection again to get this version, you'll be able to update to it for free. I'm not re-issuing the book for extra money, but to improve the reading experience.

In 2008 I wrote this novella, which was a follow up to a completed trilogy of novellas (the First Light Chronicles, now known as Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins - available for free everywhere quality ebooks are sold). I didn't have any editors to work with yet (amateur or professional), or test readers. I just had a small but growing group of people who loved Spinward Fringe Origins and wanted more. I also had a desire to write a Space Opera saga that was broader than Origins, and even a little more stylised and mysterious in many ways.

I don't know if I managed to make the Spinward Fringe series as mysterious as I originally wanted to, or led readers to the right questions about the characters in the universe, but I know that, in Broadcast 1, I managed to complete a novella that had the spirit and enthusiasm that I wanted in my Space Opera series. Unfortunately, some of that was lost because of distracting grammatical errors, typos, and some awkward phrasing. Errors have plagued this book since its release seven years ago, and I'm happy to announce that this weekend a fresh edit of the book will be completed.

The final edition will not be "perfect" to the Oxford standard, meaning that the grammar and some other minor issues will never completely adhere to the same rules as a novel that's had five passes in front of a line editor and another three passes by another editor. No, ironing out every little kink in the text would have taken some of the narrative style and dialog flair away from the book, so some of those kinks have been left in. What we focused on was removing distracting errors, typographical issues and unclear passages. Most of those were corrected or replaced.

Also, some matter that I didn't originally include in Broadcast 1, but always regretted not writing or just skipped because I was in a hurry to get the book out, have now been included. I was very careful whenever I made a change to something or added something that it fit in and didn't change important facts that would unbalance the rest of the series. Overall, Broadcast 1 is now a little longer, and a little better.

The update should hit in mid-June, and most retailers will make it optional, not mandatory. If you have a personal version of the book already that you have added digital notes and highlights to, I highly recommend that you back it up as soon as possible. If you don't know how to do this, contact your vendor, and if backups are something they allow, they will walk you through it.

I have already begun working on Broadcast 2: Awakening and having it out sometime this summer, so people who own the combined Spinward Fringe: Broadcasts 1 & 2 will get those updated together then.

Thank you so much for your support over the years,  I hope you enjoy the new version when it comes out in a couple weeks as a free update.

RL

No comments: