Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Real Name Of Spinward Fringe Broadcast 9

After finishing about twenty percent of the book and getting an editor's thumbs' up on the first chunk, writing Broadcast 9 is already a memorable experience for me. It seems like the old gang are all back together again, with Jake, Oz, Minh-Chu and someone I can't mention here, leading the way through the story I have to tell.

The beginning of the book is doing exactly what it's supposed to, and I'm far enough into the story already so it's no longer about a Gathering (the former title of Broadcast 9), our characters are already on the Warpath. There is no turning back for them, whether they like it or not they are absolutely in it, and if you read the Prologue that was previewed here, you know there are big problems coming for them.

'The Gathering' was a suitable title for a book that I thought was about so many things in the Spinward Fringe universe coming together to focus on a point. While it's true that there is an undeniable gathering of characters and events focus on a smaller space in this book, it turns out that the whole novel is not about that. This novel is about war.

A just war is a difficult thing. War is terrible, and some would say a just war is worse, because, in a just war, at least one side is clear on what they're fighting against. In a fictional just war the characters we've grown to love fight against something that absolutely violates their moral code. They observe something terrible and dedicate themselves to putting an end to it. In Warpath you'll see heroes who fight for exactly those reasons, and you'll meet characters who fight for other reasons.

There are also answers to questions that have come up in the series, forgiveness between some characters, and a few unexpected alliances. I can't wait to get this in front of you, I am so excited for this book to come out.

I'm more excited to finish writing it though, so back to work I go on Spinward Fringe Broadcast 9: Warpath.

RL

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the update, it is alway interesting to hear you create the stories that keep us coming back.

Jacob K said...

I found your series about a year ago on amazon, with Broadcast 0, searching for 'free scifi space opera.' If I were to describe it as a diamond in the rough, that would be understating it! I just wanted to say thanks - and offer some praise: Spinward Fringe is my all time favourite series, closely followed by A Song of Ice and Fire. Thank you for all your hard work in making this amazing series, I hope you can continue this for a long time to come! :-)

Unknown said...

These books have captivated me again and again. I am rereading the whole series for the fourth time now in preparation for the 9th broadcast. This series of books have been a pleasure to read and reread over and over again. I can say that the book Framework is the first book that I actually got emotionally caught up into in my life. The story is such a joy to read that I couldn't even start to describe it. I have pushed this book onto just about everyone that I can not just to help the author out but to give more people the opportunity to experience the amazing journey that is the Spinward Fringe. So Mr. Lalonde please accept my utmost thanks and appreciation for this most EPIC of Journeys that you have taking me on again and again.

Anonymous said...

Great news. Can't wait for warpath. Might be rereading the while series again myself now. This is up there with Evan Curries On silver wings...

Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Excellent news! Currently re reading all the previous books and loving it again :-)

Anonymous said...

I am growing impatient. There. I said it. I need Broadcast 9. I feel like I have waited forever. Maybe by the end of the year? Give me hope...

bryan said...

In view of the current situation I have tasked myself to re-read the whole series again in anticipation of the coming euphoria.

I shall broadcast this message to all sectors so that they too be welcomed into our best journey yet.