Monday, September 1, 2008

Digg Is Dead To Me: The absence of a literature section is a problem!

Something has been bothering me at digg.com ever since I joined. There's no printed/eBook literature section. Not for Fiction, non-fiction, technical, nothing anywhere I've seen.

So I had to ask myself: Why am I here? I'm an independent writer with a measure of success and part of that happened by being social on line, public about what I do and as much as I like digg, printed literature and eBooks are a huge part of my life. I want to read about literature, and I want a place to post about literature, but it's not here at all.

Imagine working in television, hearing or seeing something really cool you just want to share with the community only to find that your favorite community news site doesn't have a TV category!

Think I'm exaggerating? Consider my position then. This year I've written seven novellas and novels, released five and all five of them are selling on over thirty eBook retailer sites and in print. That's drop dead cool to me! I'd like to properly share this with digg users, and I try but jamming an annoucement about a novel in the Television section (for example), doesn't earn me any diggs. I mean, the users know a post about a novel is just in the wrong section, so why would they digg it even if they liked the story?

Anyway, another thing is, and this is more important. A lot of us still read whole books. Like a couple hundred pages jammed between a cover OR we read eBooks on our cell phones, eBook readers, or even our computers (mostly laptops). Imagine that? Whole fricken books with no pictures! Not one!

Well, I'm not digging until they put a novelized fiction section in the ENTERTAINMENT section, or give us book worms (there are a few hundred million of us at least), a Literature section. We're not a loud bunch, it'll be to your benefit, really.

RL

It's too bad, digg really is one of my all time favorite sites, I even watch Digg Nation as often as possible.
PLEASE DIGG THIS!

No comments: