Monday, October 13, 2008

True Romance: An Often Overlooked Classic

To my knowledge, True Romance (released in 1993), is the first screen play Quintin Tarantino sold. He didn't direct the film or even visit the set. Directed by Tony Scott, starring Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Michael Rapaport, and featuring actors like Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Dennis Hopper, Brad Pitt, Christopher Walken, Samuel L. Jackson and other memorables, this is a fun, powerful film.

My recent reviews have been terribly negative, so I thought I would post an article about something I believe to be one of those forgotten classics. A classic that I think should inform the writing choices of many a screen writer, director and performer.

When I first rented this film shortly after its initial release I was beyond surprised. The dialogue didn't just pop, it exploded. The performances weren't convincing, they were downright incredible. The plot wasn't just interesting or funny, it was quirky, entertaining and balanced. To this day there truly is nothing like this movie. Of all of the films Tarantino had a hand in, this is my favorite, which figures since he only wrote the screen play. To me, Pulp Fiction is a close second and another classic worthy of consideration.

Quintin Tarantino's incredible enthusiasm and in your face dialogue is balanced by Tony Scott's directing prowess and with the support of incredible actors this film takes the viewer on a journey though gun fights, fist fights, drug dens, as well as other events and places you might find surprising. I honestly think this film would have a higher status as a classic if the title were different, but on that point the title is perfect. Regardless of the body count, the seedy locations and characters this movie is still about two people in love. The pair are quirky, fun, and colourful, a better duo I've rarely seen. It's a good love story about a fellow who works in a comic book store and meets a very interesting woman on his birthday. The couple try to make things better for themselves while staying together and navigating unfamiliar territory.

The dialogue is incredible, far beyond what you'd see in any typical movie filled with convincing colour and perfect conversation.

I suggest this to anyone who enjoys a good action flick with a real plot and heart. I've also suckered many ladies who were looking for a "chick flick" into watching this, and invariably they find themselves liking it, but then, I typically date ladies who are at least half as nerdy or strange as I am.

RL

See? I don't hate everything...

No comments: