Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 6: Fragments Awaits Final Word From Editor

I finished writing the last chapter to Broadcast 6 today. True, I thought I had written it over two months ago, but, thanks to the enlightenment that comes with an edit-draft and the realization that I had to pull the trigger on a plot line high point that I'd been holding in for a while, I decided the book needed to be 42 chapters instead of 41.

The point is; I'm finished. My editor won't have the last 60 pages until Thursday, but I'm 99% sure that she'll agree, this book is done. The only thing I'll have to do is run another spell check, and send it off for proof reading this weekend.

What will I be doing as the proof readers are having their fun? I'll be starting on Broadcast 7 from the beginning. There are a few bits and pieces written, a white board covered in notes, a text file with even more ideas but now I finally get to dig in and write chapters from beginning to end.

Much of what I had written for Broadcast 7 was pulled into Broadcast 6, and the leftovers were tossed with all the directionless stuff that was cut from that book, so I'm looking forward to making Broadcast 7 my full time job.

When will you see Broadcast 6: Fragments? Unless my editor puts the brakes on, you'll see it this month. I'll post a specific date once my editor has read the last page and given me the thumbs up.

Now, for a little other business. A few people have sent me Emails and private messages (via Facebook or Twitter), with regards to finding me a cheap replacement laptop, offering to repair my current HP Mini, or offering me one gratis. I'm grateful for the offers of assistance, but, thankfully, I have it covered.

Thanks to the money I've managed to save over the last 6 months, the sale of my oldest laptop (a 7 pound Toshiba), and the change in the sofa I've picked up a refurbished Macbook. I've only typed two chapters on this thing but I'm in love. It's like switching from Tang to hand squeezed orange juice. Like upgrading from a 1985 Chevette to a 1969 Mustang. Like moving from Podunk Nowhere to New York City. Well, maybe not the last part. I kind of like living in a relatively small city, it's quiet here, and I can count the number of people who read my work in this town on one hand. No one is greeting me on the bus by asking; "So, where's the next book?"

Anyway, back to the point. Writing the next book will be much easier without the space bar periodically falling off.

Thank you for being patient, and for reading my previous books. I can say with great confidence that it won't be long now!

RL

No comments: