Friday, March 16, 2012

The Origins Book Trailer & Contest

On February 2, 2010 I posted a book trailer for the First Light Chronicles Omnibus on Youtube. Since then the First Light Chronicles has been polished and re-released as Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins. I never finished the video, and after the name of the book changed, I decided I would let it rest in its incomplete state until I had time.

The incomplete video has a guide track with the right script, but a temporary voice over recorded in very low quality sound. I'm still happy with the script, it has just the right amount of cheese, but I was never happy with the voice over. I posted the video because I didn't know when I'd get around to finish it, and I wanted it up there, somewhere just in case I started looking for local professional to do a good job on it. Time never really presented itself. I have the audio gear for a professional recording, but haven't found the pro voice or the time.

Since it's been posted, it's become a pleasant curiosity for people who have already discovered the books, and a few people have used it as an example (good and bad), for a book trailer. It's also been aired on television (the SPACE Channel and CTVin Canada), while television presenters spoke about the release date of Broadcast 6: Fragments.

Considering the licensing for the graphics and music cost less than $60.00, I'd say I've gotten unexpectedly good milage from it.

So, over two years since I posted the video, readers on the Facebook page started talking about sending in their own versions of the voice over. I'm willing to give it a go. In fact, I'll pay the best voice over submission a Spinward Fringe T-Shirt, a signed copy of Origins and the Expendable Few. I can't guarantee that your voice will be used in all versions of the video, but the winning version will be posted.

Here's what I'm looking for:

I would like the most professional quality recording you can manage. No laptop or cheap microphones please.

No background noise. One way to accomplish this is to take the microphone under a comforter with you for the recording.

Stick to the script. The final version I wrote for the trailer is paced perfectly, and it has just the right amount of cheese.

Use the guide track. The pacing and inflection is the way I want it, that's why the guide track was recorded, to clearly express what I wanted out of a vocal performance. My voice just wasn't up to the task.

The character speaking is Jonas, so the trailer will eventually feature a male performance. Having said that, I'm accepting submissions from women. I may not use your performance in this trailer, but there is another opportunity coming later this year for a female performer, and the winner of this contest can be male or female. I'll be judging on general talent and sound. The casting may call for a man, but the contest won't discriminate.

Email your submissions to spinwardfringe@gmail.com in .mp3 format. The winner will have to submit a higher quality copy. I'll be accepting submissions until June 1, 2012.

Here's the script:

Freeground station: All alone in the outer reaches of explored space. Home.
I served in the last war as a starship engineer, and retired at the end of my tour.
Then the simulations began, and I couldn't stay away.

We beat the common scenarios, so we found our way in to the military sims.
As an anonymous crew, we took on everyone.. and won.
Then fleet command identified us, and instead of locking us up they sent us out in to the galaxy to do it all for real.

One ship. One crew. On a mission to collect technology, find new allies, and fight for our lives.

My tour may have ended, but our adventure is just beginning.

Good luck!

RL

[Special thanks to Mark Nielsen for posting this on the Facebook page while I was editing Broadcast 5 this morning.]

No comments: