Thursday, May 27, 2010

Will Broadcast 8 Revisit A First Person Perspective Style?

That's what it's starting to look like. The votes have been coming in a little slower on this topic, and it's understandable. A question on style is more difficult to answer than one that asks which is your favorite character or ship.

There are still more than enough votes to say that there's a definite result. The majority of you want to see a new first person perspective novel, something that hasn't come along in big way since the First Light Chronicles Omnibus.

It's true, the beginning of Broadcast 5 was in first person perspective, and there's an epilogue planned that will be in first person as well. In science fiction and strange fiction beginning a film or television episode with a first person voice over isn't uncommon.

When it comes to first person perspective novels my mind drifts to detective books, even though I know vampire and werewolf fiction has gone there often in recent years. That wasn't why I wrote the First Light Chronicles in the first person perspective, however.

I used that style because it was a challenge, and it was in line with my goal of writing a mostly character driven book that took place in the far flung future. With the votes showing me that you may want me to revisit that style, I'm left wondering how much my writing has improved since I last wrote in first person. The type of story I enjoy telling now is a bit different from the type of tale I enjoyed spinning two years ago, so Broadcast 8 will be quite different from the Omnibus regardless of whether or not it's in first person perspective.

The poll is still open for a few more hours, so there's no guarantee that Broadcast 8 will be in first person. If you'd like a different style, or want to ensure I revisit the first person perspective, then vote, and encourage other readers to vote while you still can!

RL

No comments: