Friday, September 29, 2017

What I'm Listening To For Carnie's Tale

The story from Spinward Fringe Broadcast 10: Freeground continues for Alice and a few other characters in Carnie's Tale, a short novel that takes place between Broadcasts 10 and 11.

Often there's a time jump between books in this series, and that was the plan for Broadcasts 10 and 11, but I found a story between the two. It's a story that takes us back to a world that at some times feels abandoned, after the Holocaust Virus hit and artificial intelligences turned on most of humanity.

There were survivors who were smart enough to lay low, and some of them made it to Haven Shore. Noah Lucas (known as Carnie in the Samurai Squadron), is just such a survivor.

As with every book I write, I associate different songs, and often albums with the events and the environment I'm writing about. For Carnie's Tale, that music is sometimes slow, low, and it speaks of lonely times, silence that is too complete, and a wish to return to better days.

There is also boisterous carnival-ready music for when Carnie is reliving a few memories about better times, and other tracks that speak to Alice's time in training, or her moments of disappointment and joy.

Here's a list of some of the tunes I've been playing in the background while writing this story, I've tried to give you some clue as to what kind of scenes I used as background music while I was writing:

For Carnie's lonely times: Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows, Waiting for the Miracle,

The first android chase: Lost Boys Soundtrack: To the Shock Of Miss Louise

Alice's New Home: Conjure One: Endless Dream

A chase into the storm: Helion Prime: Life Finds A Way, Hailstorm: Mayhem, Dragonforce: Ashes of the Dawn

A new chase: Apocalyptica: Toreador II

A little longing: Black Eyed Peas: Meet Me Half Way

Alice Goes On A Search: Ray Charles: Somewhere Over the Rainbow

The people we miss: Apocalyptica: Faraway Volume II

I'm not quite finished with Carnie's Story yet, so I'm sure this sampling of music will grow. I'm seriously excited to get this story into your hands, there is a lot of heart, and I think it's the perfect bridge between Broadcasts 10 and 11.

RL

[The original announcement for Carnie's Tale can be found HERE]

No comments: