Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Can Make Money By Writing? Really?


So many people assume that I write for the vast wealth, that I do it for the fame, that great big house I live in with twelve bedrooms and the Dodge Viper I drive to work every day. Waitasec, I walk to work, have a cozy apartment that I share with a room mate I've been sharing bills with for years, and I self publish instead of sending manuscripts out.

I'd say that in itself is enough to demonstrate that I don't do it for the cash, I do it because I love it! I have been writing sporadically for almost two decades now, more often than not. On New Year's Eve 2008 I decided I would write every day, and so far I've carried that resolution out. So far I've completed a novella and a non-fiction book and there are more on the way. There have also been a number of positive changes in my life since and the good news for the few readers I have out there is that I don't plan on stopping. Writing does many things for me, keeps me relatively happy, sociable outside of work, livable at work, keeps my brain working, boosts my creativity, helps me understand my environment and myself. The one thing it doesn't do is make me loads of cash. It doesn't have to.

Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't mind getting paid, but I love sharing a work that I enjoyed creating, even if the spirit of the work is better than the end product. As long as the person experiencing it enjoys it somehow, my work is done. I move on to new fiction and hopefully the people who like my work follow for a while. I appreciate anyone who is willing to read instead of watch television, at least for a couple hours.

So, as proof positive that I don't do this for the cash but for the personal gratification of doing and pleasure of sharing, I'm offering my latest novella; First Light Chronicles Freeground for $3.00 as a digital download. That's right, you can download it for a loonie and a twonie! Two bits! A silver and copper! I would reduce the cost of the printed copy, but I've got to cover my shipping expenses.

Oh, and Act 2 of that series is going famously well. It's looking like it will be bigger than the first and I'll be diving into Act 3 within days of finishing the second.

Cheers!

RL

No comments: