Friday, March 28, 2008

First Light Chronicles: How It's Going

There are a lot of people reading the first book in the First Light Series, and I have to say that the news I'm hearing is encouraging. Most people really like it and I'm waiting for someone to tell me they don't, just to hear that first bad review that makes you feel like the general public have actually had access to your work.

As most of you know already, the copies currently available in town are misprints, so the people who buy them will have something there will only ever be 14 copies of and each will be signed. I don't know if they will have any value, but I hope the fact that there will be so few helps people who own a copy with a few typos on the back cover feel better. What really matters is that the internal contents are all correct and all the scenes featuring the Bannanabear(TM) are gone.

As far as the second book goes, the few people who have read it really enjoyed Limbo and I'm glad to say that there are a few copies left in Sudbury. I'll be ordering more soon since the proof copies of the second installment turned out so well.

The third book in the series is being written right now. In fact I just finished writing a major turning point in the story. The purpose of the third book in the series is to give the characters a sort of ending to their first real plot cycle, to sort of lay the last brick in the foundation of the rest of the series. These three books are to be the launch pad from which everything springs, even Black Abandon, which will not be under the First Light Chronicles banner, but involve a number of the same characters and take place in the same universe.

The third installment of the First Light Chronicles series; Starfree Port, may be the longest of the three. I expect it to weigh in at about two hundred pages after a second draft. I'm still looking to write this one as though it were made for television but I'm allowing for even more character development, expansion of the universe this all takes place in, and I'm looking at this as though it is the season finale; the one episode that tells a story good enough for people to tune in again after the summer break.

As always, I'll do my best to have you white knuckled and raw by the time you read the last few pages. There are a few who have read the second book who tell me that I've already accomplished the white knuckled part at least once, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the flattery, but I firmly believe that accomplishing that sort of thing once can be chalked up to a happy accident. Doing it twice, now that's where the beginning of imagination and story telling talent really live. That's what I'm going for in the third installment, even if it kills someone.

More on First Light Chronicles: Starfree Port later!

RL

PS
There was never a Bannanabear(TM) in First Light Chronicles: Freeground. It would never get along with Oz.

No comments: